On Jun 19, 2011, an anonymous person send me this email:
>> Can you lend me any hints on how to get started in this amazing field?
Such a short line but it made me really think, and although I replied very quickly I decided that it was worth sharing. Hope you find it nice...
Hello Xxx, Thank you for contacting me. That is such a big question your asking. There's so much to know and learn about this business. Quick, From the top of my head, a few important pointers for me would be:
1. Try to be the best at what you're good at but make sure to be well-rounded as well and learn about other areas of design (always appreciated)
2. Be patient with the clients, sometimes they'll want to get the best out of you, not in a good way, don't give up
3. Have in mind that is a very subjective business, so there will be time when you will do something that you think is great and the client will hate it, so is very important to get all the outsiders' opinions you can
4. Never EVER stop learning.
5. And last but not least. Be professional but have fun doing it. You will notice that when you enjoy your work you'll never work another day in your life*
Hope this works for you! :)
* A quote from a very good book about usability, "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug.